Saturday, May 3, 2014

King Solomon's Mines

     Who says classics have to be boring?  I'm currently reading "King Solomon's Mines" by H. Rider Haggard, a book brimming with action, adventure, and narrow escapes!  Basically, it's the original version of Indiana Jones, about an elephant hunter in Africa in the 1800's searching for a friend's brother who got lost while seeking the legendary mines of King Solomon!
     At the time this story was told, many hailed it as "the greatest book ever written!"  I recommend this short novel; just be prepared for some slight racism reflecting the views of the era, though this is largely mitigated by Haggard's creation of noble, self-sacrificing African characters.
     Alright, I'm done ranting.  As you can tell, I'm on a one-man quest to rejuvenate reading among our generation.  Think I'm succeeding, or is reading a dead art?
     Seriously, though.  Will leisure-reading have a place in society's future?  I'd love to hear some views on this in the comments, though it will likely be a biased survey considering that all of you have taken the time to read this blog, and thus are likely people who enjoy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment