Monday, June 15, 2015

Good Morning, Psychopath

It's a short one, today. Gotta get ready for bed. The morning comes too early.

The Lie

I yawned as I walked to my minivan, windshield glinting in the yellow light spilling from the garage. Five o'clock comes too early. But now that I have a summer job, that's when I have to leave for work.

The car locks all opened with a hard, mechanical click when I twisted the key. I tossed my lunch cooler onto the floor and clambered in.

I sat there for a few moments into the darkness, fiddling with the GPS. First morning on the job. I didn't know the route there very well.

Outside the car, everything was dark. Pitch black. The only light shone from those garage windows; above and around me, the already-black sky was blocked from sight by the thick oak trees overshadowing the driveway. Back here in the woods, there's nothing. Little sound, little light. Only my Aunt and Uncle's solitary house.

Someone knocked on the car window.

I won't pretend I didn't stiffen, or that my eyes didn't flick up. I scare easily. But still, I figured it was my Aunt, maybe come out to say goodbye. She'd already woken early to help me off, Lord love her.

It wasn't. It wasn't my Aunt's face pressing against the glass.

I yelped. I actually fell back in my chair, enough to make the seatbelt jerk, and you would've done the same. I swear you would've. I didn't get a good look at the face before falling, only a black profile and white eyes. But when I looked back up again, it was gone.

A trick of the light? A fantasy of my tired, overly-imaginative mind? Maybe.

Or maybe I'll find out, the next morning I leave for work.

The Truth

Work really does start at that sinfully early hour, and my lovely Aunt really did wake up, but no, there was no face. There can't have been. That had to have been my imagination . . . .

Sorry if there are errors in this one; I don't have time to edit.

No comments:

Post a Comment